The Plastic injection molding is the process through which plastic are being manufactured using a diverse method. Some of the widely used techniques include reaction injection molding and plastic injection molding. The benefit of reaction injection molding over plastic injection molding can be subtle but it boils down to the durability as well as long-lasting nature of the final product which is obtained. Discussing these two methods would help to determine the one which is better. Designing and producing products made with reaction injection molding vs. plastic injection molding need to address many factors which include how the piece will be used, the kinds of pressure and temperatures it would experience as well as the durability that would be needed when it interacts with other parts. This comparison merely details the benefit of RIM.
RIM technology is very simple and can be accomplished with the assistance of talented staff that is familiar with the process. This is a method in which two reactive liquid components are combined within a low-pressure system. The two are a polyol and an isocyanate which are fed via a tubing into the mixing head and then the molding area with supporting apparatus such as a metering piston as well as recirculation pump. Based on the size of the item, the time to cool can be as little as three to five minutes before the mold is opened and the process can begin again. Hard tooling of the mold with the aid of aluminium or copper will experience the quickest cooling. Additionally, RIM technology can be produced at a lower cost because of the molds themselves. A specialty RIM manufacturer will make use of aluminium molds so as to attain the best efficiency in large sizes as well as minimal rates of production.
PIM occurs much like RIM without the reactions and is ideal for making a large volume of products which have consistent size. This process typically has a low labour cost and has few scrap losses when compared to RIM. Typically, PIM has very little finishing once the item is out of the mold, but like RIM, it can have an expensive tooling to even begin molding.
PIM is not an unusable process and for some products, it can be the best choice. RIM on the other hand is superior in other areas that must be noted, however;
· RIM provide high impact resistance and excellent abrasion resistance which can tolerate heavy abuse without marrying the surface of the item.
· The elastic memory of RIM makes it more durable and less breakable.
· The reaction injection molding provides a variable co-efficient of friction, a function of the normal pressure and rubbing velocity for a broader range of applications.
· Sound waves are absorbed more with PIM thereby resulting in noise reduction in the environment where the plastic molding machine is placed.
· RIM can be thick set molded much easier than the PIM process.
· The resilience of the final result of RIM technology is tougher than PIM
· RIM has a lower temperature, compression set as well as radiation resistance.
· Finally, the lower cost tooling of reaction injection molding makes it more attractive to buyers. RIM can handle large part and low volume production at an affordable price.
Thus, when RIM and PIM are compared, RIM is the winner when it comes to durability as well as resistance to outdoor influences.